Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lamp Gets a Facelift

 This is a brass lamp my mother had given me a few years ago. (My mom has a lamp fetish and has tons of them. I don't think I've ever actually purchased a lamp. Ever.)  To be terribly honest, I can't stand brass (Sorry, mom!) and today I decided to finally do something about it.  I spray painted the lamp a "hammered steel" gray from Rustoleum.


Using ONLY what I had on hand (because, well, I'm cheap resourceful!) I made a lampshade. I took cardstock, taped end-to-end, and hot-glued around the base of the existing lampshade.

 Here it is with the cardstock hot-glued around the bottom of the existing shade. Now, to snazz it up.
This step took FOREVER. Using coffee filters, I hot-glued them in a brick-laying pattern covering the entire shade. 
 Several hours, and a few diaper changes for the twins, later.
Here it is in our living room. I think it looks great! Now, I've got it on my to-do list to repaint that awfully drab looking table. Teal, maybe?

6 comments:

  1. How fun! And I love the idea of the teal table. Do it, do it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lampshade made from coffee filters...the comments I get from guests! They love it! I think it looks like girly ruffles! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspirational. I have a large lamp with a shade that I am fed up with, but cannot find one to replace it. Now, I will have a go at making anew one for it myself. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a great facelift for this light! I love how it turned out!
    Julianne

    www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation. Very creative! I am a new follower. Hope you can visit my blog and follow along too.

    I converted a bell lamp shade to a drum shade. Here's the link if you'd like to see it: http://scrapidoodlelicious.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-change-your-bell-lamp-shade-to.html

    ReplyDelete