Friday, October 7, 2011

The Office turned Bedroom

When we found out we were expecting twins, everything changed, including the bedroom arrangement. At first, we were upstairs in the Master bedroom, across from the bedroom that was shared by our two daughters. With the twins on the way, we started transforming the office into our new bedroom.

As you can see in the "before" picture, the office was a deep burgundy color - evidence of previous owners - and the trim was cream. In preparation to paint, I tackled washing all the walls and trim with a bleach solution. I learned that we were not working with a burgundy/cream combo, but a PURPLE and WHITE combo! Gross!




It took the professionals from Sherwin-Williams to help us prime this dark burgundy color. We had to use a gray-tinted shellac, which was not cheap, but it took only one coat to completely cover the burgundy. (I have pictures of our work in progress somewhere... I need to look for them and will post them as soon as I find them!)

Next, Super-Hub used our air-compressor and a weird gun thing to apply a knock-down texture to the ceiling. (I'll tell you this... you never realize how bad the ceiling was until you give it a fresh coat of paint!) Finally, we picked a color that I had fallen in love with. It reminds me of the Mango Salsa scented candle from Yankee Candle... and reminds me of the tropical vacation that Super-Hub and I have yet to have.


To wrap up our new bedroom project, we replaced the carpet ourselves for $200 and replaced the ceiling fan with something more modern and tropical feeling.




In this last picture you can see that our "to-do" list is never-ending. Our home is almost 100 years old and has plaster & lath walls. Mounting this TV was a week-long project. (May have been shorter, if we didn't have 4 little ones climbing the walls.) Super-Hub tells me he has to reopen the wall to make a hole larger in a 2x4 support within the wall so that more cords can pass through. Until then, we will see these 2 straggly cords.

(Yes, those are TWO baby monitors. One for each upstairs bedroom.)




No comments:

Post a Comment