Our oldest daughter has a dairy allergy. It took us 7 years to figure out what was causing her to swell up, have uncontrollable severe eczema and random nose bleeds. About 6 months ago, we started our dairy-free lifestyle. The younger kids still drink regular cow's milk, but all my cooking and baking is done dairy-free.
Sunday's are a baking day. We will usually bake up something sweet to have for dessert or something to store away to snack on through the week. Today we made up some S'more Cookies! (DAIRY FREE!)
2 C flour
3/4 C Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 C Butter Flavored Crisco
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C almond milk (or soymilk, rice milk, etc...) I used vanilla almond milk
1 tsp of vanilla (I omit this when I have vanilla flavored milk)
large marshmellows, cut in half
(makes about 2 1/2 dozen)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream shortening, brown sugar, sugar, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture and mix well.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Drop dough by spoonful onto the cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove trays and place 1 marshmellow half on top of each cookie. Return to oven and back an additional 3 minutes.
- Let cool completely. (Cookie will appear soft but will harden and "set" as it cools!)